Enforcers that are burned or completely destroyed do not drop their weapons. Grenades from the MA-75 Assault Rifle/Grenade Launcher and rockets from the SPNKR SSM Launcher with completely destroy an Enforcer and the weapon they hold.
The Alien Weapon has no additional ammunition, and when emptied is simply discarded. Additionally, the Alien Weapon cannot be reloaded or refilled.
When in hand, the player's HUD does not display a graphic of the weapon or ammunition remaining, but instead show static and "UNKNOWN WEAPON CLASS" with "system error 0xfded" messages.
There are two variations of the Alien Weapon. Both drop from slain Enforcers but each version is completely different in look, damage, and firing style.
When equipped, the Alien Weapon fires in a horizontal row with little-to-no vertical spread.
Marathon 2: Durandal Edit
In Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity, it functions more like a long range flamethrower with slower shots, with similar speed to the energy bolts from the Zeus Class Fusion Pistol. This version also has three firing modes:
- The primary trigger fires a stream of shots directly forward.
- The secondary trigger alternates firing at right and left 45-degree angles.
- Third, pressing both triggers does all three directions at once (but using up the weapon much more quickly).
- In Marathon, the Alien Weapon can be found on Pfhor Your Eyes Only....
- In Marathon 2, the Alien Weapon can be found behind a secret door on Ex Cathedra. Otherwise, it cannot be obtained until Enforcers are first encountered in Sorry Don't Make It So.